[ncolug] Re: Minix3

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:18:32 -0500

Henry Keultjes wrote:

Larry:

The difference between the old Pick and the Pick I am trying to reinvent is that my version can take Open Source drivers for any old and new hardware and adapt those drivers to that reinvented Pick fairly easy. My idea is not reinventing the wheel but, as a matter of speaking, just taking the tire off and putting that bold lettering and whitewalls on the inside.
My plan has always been to only run on PowerPC and to only support a very limited selection of hardware like only Seagate HDD's and only AOpen peripharels like CD-Rom and DVD's. However, because this is all Open Source, the choices to everyone else are never limited by my choices Anyone who wants to port this to any other processor can do so and anyone who wants to adapt any other hardware to this platform can do so.

In contrast, it was the proprietary aspect of Pick that was the problem of not having choices. Noone but Pick Systems had the legal right to the source code that facilitated making those choices. Under Open Source we can all have it our own way. Obviously it might not be economical nor practical for everyone to adapt drivers to that platform. But that's like democracy. If you don't have the votes you need to live with how the majority rules or you become a rebel like Henry.

Henry

larry wrote:

Henry Keultjes wrote:

larry wrote:

I think what you are trying to say is the following:

"I want an operating environment, where I can play around with stuff like I/O, security, and screen formatting, just by editing some text files."

"Furthermore, I would like to be able to make various hardware, no matter how old, work in this environment, again simply by editing some text files."

"Finally, I would like to customize the applications that run in this environment, by (you guessed it) editing some text files.

Does that sum it up, Henry?

Indeed!

Henry

Good, I am glad we established this.

The reason you could "play around with screen formatting" back then was that the screen was an 80x25 matrix of alphabetic characters. (This was also back in the days when running an application meant that you needed to know how to READ - but I am not going to go down that road right now.)

The reason I/O was easily configurable via text files in Pick was because of the limited hardware support. If you look at what hardware was actually supported on the incarnation of Pick that ran on an NCR Tower, for example, you could practically name the items on one hand - maybe 2 or 3 models of tape drive, a couple disk drives, that was pretty much it.

The part of my original message where I said, "...various hardware, no matter how old," was thrown in simply because I know that's what you would like. Yet, it is the only part that was never true for Pick, or any other OS. Of course, Linux is about 500% more likely to support any given "old hardware" compared to any other OS, but even that has it's limits.

Releases of Pick were frozen in time just like any other OS, and a given release supported whatever hardware the company who ported it wanted it to. Your big problem, as I see it, is that there are no qualified engineers (working for large hardware vendors or not,) who have any incentive to do a port to modern hardware. Why not?

The hardware industry has changed since the 80's. The steady price erosion of computing hardware in general means, basically, that if you want to make any money whatsoever on computer hardware, you had better be Chinese. (Taiwanese, to be exact.) This led to standardization and commoditization of all but the largest computing hardware.

Next, (we are in the 90's now) we had standardization and commoditization of the OS, which, as many have said here, is no more than "an extension of the hardware" to most users.

So, back to the present, we now have an array of 2 or 3 low cost (or no cost) operating environments to choose from, compared to the 80's. No one really cares what hardware they need to run on, as long as they can get the whole solution for less $ than last year.

No one wants to port an old OS to modern hardware, because Linux and Windows are available, supported, and cheap. Engineers are very practical people.

You may say, "...but today's server OS's aren't cheap!" Oh yes they are. A copy of Pick, when it was popular, went for several thousand (1980's) dollars. When they later replaced it with Unix, the price was only a little less. And don't forget, the hardware was MORE than the OS. The typical Tower solution that was still running all Phar-Mor pharmacies (are they still in business?) only ten years ago, was around $25,000. That was for a 68040 processor running Unix to drive a dozen or so dumb terminals.

So my point on hardware is, "you have to go with the flow." You aren't going to see text-file configuration of hardware any more, because hardware is way more complex, the options are endless, and the manufacturers of hardware are spread all over Asia. Not to mention that there's just a lot more of it to choose from in the first place. This dictates that we are still at the mercy of hardware manufacturers (just different ones.)

I do have some good news, though... the "application customization via text files" part - that is alive and well, and oddly enough, is the subject of my presentation next month.

I understand writing a new platform to only support on CPU architecture, that's the way most of them start.
Though I don't understand only one or a few HD's - ATA drives have a standardized interface. The whole point of an interface.
While I admire your goal, I have to agree with Mike K. about asking the question "How does this have value to the LUG?" it seems like a long-shot to me...

Taking drivers from one platform and using them on another is only easy if both platforms have the same API. The more alike the two platforms are the easier. Since PICK in any incarnation is so very different from Linux or the BSDs it's going to be quite a bit of work to get things ported. Seems like the two choices are to get A LOT of people excited about the project so they'll donate their time and effort. (Which unfortunately isn't the folks in this LUG -- we don't have any seasoned driver developers...) or to pay a bunch of seasoned driver developers to write the code you need.

Personally, I've heard a lot of talk about PICK, I know that it's a lot like a DB that I'm familiar with (AppGen), but don't see anything that makes it all that great. I've heard a lot of talk about RISC CPUs, but haven't heard a single thing about what they can do that CISC can't do. Same goes with the whole micro-kernel vs. monolithic thing. Find me one application that can only be implemented on PICK using a micro kernel based OS on RISC CPUs, and I'll start to listen. Otherwise I have only a limit amount of attention I can expend on the topic and I've chosen to make that focused on Linux.

Chuck

begin:vcard
fn:Chuck Stickelman
n:Stickelman;Chuck
adr:;;3068 Noblet Rd.;Mansfield;Ohio;44903-8634;USA
email;internet:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:419-884-8240
tel;cell:419-610-6638
x-mozilla-html:TRUE