[ncolug] Re: Minix3

  • From: MrKnisely <mrknisely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:22:06 -0500

David Rakestraw wrote:

It is not Linux, but it is open source. It might not be of interest to you,
but it is to others in the group.

I know you are not you suggesting emails to this mailing list be approved as
to the NCOLUG popularity before posting and I agree that Minix3 is not
something you or I might need at the moment (or at all).

As to Dave's suggestion to look at other small distros...I have tried all of
them too. I have been using puppy on a memory stick for quite a while. These
are still basically desktop distros for with low overhead and not really
designed to be a dedicated service oriented micro kernel OS. They are also a
little harder to install, though not much.

--
David Rakestraw
Technical Services Division

---------- Original Message ----------- From: MrKnisely <mrknisely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 00:29:43 -0500 Subject: [ncolug] Re: Minix3

Henry Keultjes wrote:

larry wrote:

I think what you are trying to say is the following:

"I want an operating environment, where I can play around with stuff like I/O, security, and screen formatting, just by editing some text files."

"Furthermore, I would like to be able to make various hardware, no matter how old, work in this environment, again simply by editing some text files."

"Finally, I would like to customize the applications that run in this environment, by (you guessed it) editing some text files.

Does that sum it up, Henry?

Indeed!

Henry

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field

And why subject yourself to this!?!?! I just don't get how this could be of any use to our group.

Now, I understand your goal in this Henry... I just don't see how this is of value to NCOLUG.

Mike K.

------- End of Original Message -------

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field

The first post in the thread was replied to by me as follows:

"I doubt any of us would have much of a use for this."

All I am looking for here is a simple explination as to how this is valuable to us. Larry has come as close to anyone with his verification of Henry's likes of this OS.

In this LUG, I feel we spend WAY too much time talking to death these topics that have no value to thoes in the community we are trying to reach.

All I'm asking is, where is the value? Why in the world would we choose to discuss this OS, not that we have even begun to discuss the workings of the OS?

Can you understand my question?

I'm not saying that things said in this list need to be of value to our group. I'm just trying to find some focus and perhap define some topics for future meetings.

Mike K.