[ncolug] Re: Minix3

  • From: MrKnisely <mrknisely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 19:16:06 -0500

larry wrote:

David Fierbaugh wrote:

Of course, MS could go so far as to move the desktop to the web. Wouldn't that be great, to be able to use an office product via the web without installing it on your PC. I'm surprised MS hasn't thought of that new idea yet, except it's not new, there are several FOSS projects that do just that.

They offer it now, and have been since around 2000, the same time that they got control of Terminal Services for real. In the partnering options that they offer, there is an option to be basically a web provider, of Office, or any other Microsoft app.

The reason you don't see many doing it is that they did not make it worth the effort. The licensing fees for Microsoft products is the same, whether you run it in a terminal, a browser, or your desktop. If you figure that an ISP (that is what MS call them, meaning "independent software provider") needs to then add in their costs for pipes, support, and finally make a profit, it doesn't look too appetizing. It looks better, however, for folks who write their own specialized apps...

I have plenty of customers now who run office on terminals. Heck, nearly my whole company does. We can run it anywhere there is a browser.

I am aware of one of our customers that had Office applications delivered by this method. It is only cost justifiable to the because they are in the education market.

Mike K.

All functions of our list can be controlled through the web by logging in
at //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/lsg2.cgi

You can also unsubscribe by sending email to
ncolug-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field