[ncolug] Re: Minix3

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 22:54:59 -0500

Henry Keultjes wrote:

MrKnisely wrote:

Because this vista is a 1"x1" opening looking out on a brick wall. Honestly, do you think that any of us would actually use this?

Mike K.

Mike:

The chances that in ten years you will be using Minix and/or Minix derived concepts are far greater than you still using Linux in ten years.

Henry

Be sure to visit our web at www.ncolug.org

I once heard it said that if humans ever destroyed themselves with nukes, the eventual inhabitants of Earth would be descendants of the cockroach. Seems those little critters have a very high tolerance for radioactivity... Sounds good. UNTIL, you realize that those buggers have had MILLIONS of years of evolutionary head-start and they didn't ever come close to what we have today... Seems they are an evolutionary dead-end. Were way back then and will be again.

Now how does Minix differ? I have a set of ORIGINAL Minix disks. (I think it's version 1.2) Certainly had some neat stuff, but it's clear that it didn't have what it takes to advance to the top of the pyramid. Doubt that it will in the future either. At the same time one of the NEATEST OSes is Plan 9 (or is that OS9?) anyway, it's way cool, yet it'll never see much light...

Now, does Minix have a micro-kernel? Yep. Does that count as "Minix derived concepts"? Maybe. I'm not sure who had the microkernel first... HURD or Minix? Though it REALLY doesn't matter. Linux is a great solution (sure it's not "the best" solution) but it has traction that NO other OS has TODAY. None. That tells me that it's much more likely to be around in 10 years than some no-traction, curiosity.

Chuck

begin:vcard
fn:Chuck Stickelman
n:Stickelman;Chuck
adr:;;3068 Noblet Rd.;Mansfield;Ohio;44903-8634;USA
email;internet:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:419-884-8240
tel;cell:419-610-6638
x-mozilla-html:TRUE