[ncolug] Re: Minix3

  • From: "Mr. Knisely" <mrknisely@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 11:38:58 -0500

Henry Keultjes wrote:

MrKnisely wrote:

Because this vista is a 1"x1" opening looking out on a brick wall. Honestly, do you think that any of us would actually use this?

Mike K.

Mike:

The chances that in ten years you will be using Minix and/or Minix derived concepts are far greater than you still using Linux in ten years.

Henry

Be sure to visit our web at www.ncolug.org

That may be correct; however, since I am not a OS/hardware/software developer, nor is anyone else in this group, we have no use for this product at this point in its development life cycle.

Have you even looked at this? What would you use it for? Let's just, for argument's sake, assume that you actually got this thing installed. What would you do then? Have you looked at the "Over 300 Unix Programs," (http://www.minix3.org/manpages/)? I think I'll need a little more availabe to me than that if I'm to dedicate any time to it.

It'd be like running an OS/2 Warp box at home... the novilty is there but what purpose would it serve? I take that back, Warp has some fun eye candy, so it has value to me.

Beyond that... 10 years ago I was told that today I'd be using wireless networking. Well, today's implementation of wireless is from an engineering perspective a lot like it was back them. From a usablility perspective the two are about as far apart as east and west.

Again, if someone in the group is a kernel hacker and LOVES to port software in their spare time this would be an FANTASTIC project. Anyone fit that mold, just raise your hands... anyone.... anyone?

Mike K.

[joke]
PS: One other concern would be the MIT Deep Divers looking at the code... they may find SCO's intellectual propertly woven into this OS.
[/joke]
Be sure to visit our web at www.ncolug.org