[ncolug] The Value of Things

  • From: Chuck Stickelman <cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncolug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:48:12 -0500

I once read an article that posited the idea that things are valued by what they consume.
According to this article information consumes our time and energy. As we are exposed to ever increasing amounts of information, the amount of time and energy we have is reduced. The law of supply and demand inplies that limited amounts of time and energy increase their value. So each bit of information we allow in has a higher value since it's competing with other bits of information. The goal of course is to consume those precious resources -- time and energy.

At this stage of my life I have very little of either available to spend on technology that doesn't offer some ROI (Return On Investment). Linux offers me a positive ROI by making things here work better, faster, cheaper, etc. Understand that I love Linux because I've evaluated it to be positive. Not the other way around. Does that mean that *BSD, or Windows XP, or minix3, or PICK don't offer me a ROI? Don't know. I do know that the information needed to know the answer has too high of a cost. And it's a price I'm not willing to pay.

So I guess I'm saying that I will continue to selectively ignore a whole swath of IT topics -- which means that *BSD, minix2, and PICK are going to remain outside my attention. Law of supply and demand. Again, if someone can show me a complete solution that can only be run on PICK/microkernel/RISC then it'd have value, and I'm into value. Anything else is just background noise.

Chuck

begin:vcard
fn:Chuck Stickelman
n:Stickelman;Chuck
adr:;;3068 Noblet Rd.;Mansfield;Ohio;44903-8634;USA
email;internet:cstickelman@xxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:419-884-8240
tel;cell:419-610-6638
x-mozilla-html:TRUE