[muglo] Re: importing data from separate hard drive

  • From: Martin Albinger <max@xxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 16:53:41 -0500

On Dec 28, 2008, at 2:27 PM, Theresa Roth wrote:

> Now, I need to copy 2 other files:
>
> 1.    Login data such as usernames and passwords [stored in the keychain
> I think]
> 2.    Contacts from the Address Book.
>
> I have tried several files but they don't seem to work.
>
> Any help is appreciated as always.

I believe there are a couple of options.  Try using the Migration
Assistant application you may be able to get usernames etc and
passwords plus the Address Book info.  Be cautious however as you may
transfer other settings that you don't want.  I haven't use it for
awhile so am not sure of all the options available.  Perhaps someone
more knowledgeable can expand on this.?

Alternatively the G4 tower should allow you to attach at least 1
additional drive e.g. the one it came with it and a second one.
Doing one old drive at a time, connect it to the cabling in your new
machine.  It may require a jumper pin setting adjustment from master
to slave (for the current drive) and then back again after you have
transferred files; if you are lucky no jumper pins will need to be
adjusted.  To export files from the old drive choose it as the start
up disk (in system preferences), launch the applications with the
data you need and export.  Then back to system preferences, change
start up disks back to the new machine's drive open the app again and
import the file.  Of course you have to remember where you saved the
file the first time round.  Repeat process with second old drive.
Always open the application associated with the original drive to
extract data e.g. if you boot from the new drive open the application
in that drives application folder, if booting from the old drive open
the application from that drive's application folder.

I'm not sure what will happen if you launch Address  Book from the
old drive whether it will read your user information on the new drive
- you could potentially really muck things up.

You may be able to export keychain data this way also - not sure.
Have you researched this on the web yet?

> PS: I upgraded to a G4 from Computer Liquidators that came with
> 10.4!! The two hard drives in question are from the G3 tower and the
> G4 laptop, both of which have encountered logic board problems.

Before you get too gumg ho with moving files make sure your 10.4 gets
all the updates it requires then start moving your stuff.  After it
is all safely transferred and working use one of the old drives (if
it has the capacity) and use something like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)
to make an exact copy of your main drive as it exists at that point.
Now you will have a good system to fall back on.  There may also be
enough space to back up your data files on an ongoing basis as well.
Should anything happen you will have a drive with the system as it
existed at cloning plus all your saved data.  CCC can help with this
also.

Martin