[muglo] Re: Internet Sharing (was Telephone cord routing)

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 22:04:22 -0400

Leith, I just want to clarify a point about wireless:

Mac OS 9 is for all practical purposes invincible to internet attacks,
HOWEVER, wireless transmissions are a different story!

It doesn't matter what OS you're using (Mac OS X, Linux, Windows
95/98/2000/ME/XP, Mac OS 9, etc.) since your wireless network will be
as insecure or as secure as you make it.

It is easy to set up a secure wireless network and I suspect that
Apple's Airport base station makes that task very easy. You need to
set up an access password in your base station and then must use that
password to "log in" to the base station.

That first step makes it nearly impossible for someone to break into
your network.

Even if you don't have wireless security most networks are pretty
secure as far as data that's transmitted wirelessly. Nowadays most
internet sites use secure logins to transmit passwords or other such
personal information (e.g. credit cards) so even if someone is
snooping on your communications they won't be able to capture anything
meaningful.

And, this latter scenario assumes that someone is diligently watching
and analysing your wireless data transmissions.

A far greater problem is someone 'leeching' your internet if you have
a completely unprotected network. This can slow things down quite a
bit, but, more seriously, they can also be doing things on your
account that might be illegal, criminal and/or could get you into
trouble with your ISP (i.e. send spam, for e.g.).

Even if you opt to set up wireless without encrypted security, you can
secure your wireless network. (1) Stop the base station from
'broadcasting SSID'--this step hides your network from all but the
most determined of hackers. Clients can only connect if they know the
SSID (name) of the base station. (2) Turn on MAC address control--this
step prevents unauthorised computers from connecting to the base
station. (3) Turn off DHCP server (a p-i-t-a (pain in the ass))

These precautions prevent the casual (and, even determined but
non-expert) hacker from abusing your wireless network and make it
difficult (but by no means impossible) to steal bandwidth or attack
your computers. Determined hackers can "spoof" (fake) a MAC address
quite easily and with some luck and perseverance they should be able
to sniff out your SSID.

But, despite all of this, wireless is secure and if you use encryption
you can rest assured that your information is safe (unless you use the
easiest password in the world to crack... 'password')! (far more
secure than cordless telephones over which we often have discussions
of a personal nature and also where we sometimes say our credit card
information + expiry date)

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/