[muglo] Re: Internet Sharing (was Telephone cord routing)

  • From: "Eric Dunbar" <eric.dunbar@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:39:25 -0400

On 08/06/06, Leith Peterson <leithriver7@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks for all the advice.  Much appreciated.  I've tried doing the
> sharing, with my OS 10 G4 doing the initiating with my OS 9 iBook,
> but I'm not able to make a connection properly.  So far I've only
> tried it with ethernet, though.

The basic set-up is as follows:
1. G4 is connected to phone line
2. Mac OS X on G4 is configured to use the internet via dial-up
2. iBook is connected via a CROSSOVER* ethernet cable to G4
3. On your G4 Internet Sharing is turned ON in "System
Preferences:Sharing:Internet" and you are sharing "To: Built-in
Ethernet"
4. The Mac OS 9 TCP/IP Control Panel on your iBook is configured to
use the ETHERNET port and is using DHCP to obtain IP address

To use internet  on the iBook through the G4:
1. Connect to internet on G4 by dialling into ISP
2. With iBook connected to G4 with appropriate cross-over cable open
up an internet application and start browsing the web
3. When you're done browsing the web tell the G4 to disconnect from
the internet.

Troubleshooting: if the G4 is connected to the internet but the
internet is not being shared open up the Internet preferences pane and
make sure that sharing is turned on.

FYI:

* There are two types of ethernet cable of relevance:
1. patch; or,
2. crossover.

Normally you use a 'patch' cable to connect a computer to a
switch/router and you use a cross-over cable to connect
switches/routers to each other or computers to each other. That said,
newer Mac laptops (and maybe desktops) don't care what cable is used
-- they can automatically use both types of cables.

Note: your iBook is probably too old to use either type of cable
interchangeably and you should be using a cross-over cable.

You can tell if you have a 'patch' or a 'cross-over' cable. Put the
connectors side-by-side. If the wire colours are in IDENTICAL
positions you have a patch cable. If they are in different positions
(i.e. "crossed over") then you have a cross-over cable.

> I've had no problem doing ethernet sharing between two OS 9
> computers, but between OS 10 and 9 is a new ballgame for me.

What software were you using to share the internet (via ethernet)
between the two OS 9 computers? IPNetShare (just remembered the
name)... <http://www.sustworks.com/>... they apparently even have an
OS X version, and one of their apps is free for OS X.

> If I was able to make the two internal modems share one modem via the
> OS 10 G4, would the iBook then be wireless in the sense of being
> vulnerable to outside tampering, or would it be wireless in the sense
> of just a connection between the two computers?

Your iBook would _in theory_ be less vulnerable since it's going
through a pretty restrictive DHCP server on the G4.

HOWEVER, in practice you DO NOT have to worry about vulnerabilities,
especially with
Mac OS 9. Mac OS 9 is for all practical purposes INVULNERABLE to attacks!!!

Eric.

        http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/joinus.html

            http://www.freewebs.com/muglo/