[muglo] Re: Epson printer error

  • From: Gerhard Kuhn <gerhardk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 15:17:06 -0500

I explored the Epson web site and they say that the message is the
result of ink pads that absorb ink from cleaning cycles and over spray
from borderless printing.  Seems kind of like planned obsolescence as
I am sure it could be designed in a way that would make it an easily
replaced part by the user.  I am happy with the performance of the
printer in all other aspects but this seems crazy that a $1,00 printer
should be junked after 3 years.  Kind of makes me wonder if I will
purchase another Epson product.
Quoted from the Epson web-site

What parts are we talking about?
         The message refers to the ink pads, which are actually a
number of porous pads in the printer that collect, distribute, and
very importantly contain the ink that is not used on printed pages.
Ink is collected by these pads during the initial setup of the
product, during cleaning cycles and when printing borderless
photographs. Most users will not receive this message before the
printer is replaced for other reasons. Some high volume users or those
who use the printer for many years may receive this message about ink
pads before other components reach the end of their usable life.

Is there anything I can do to continue using my printer?
         Epson recommends replacing the printer, but if you want to
continue using it, Epson recommends having the printer serviced at an
Epson Customer Care Center. You may also be able to have the ink pads
replaced by an independent service provider and use the Ink Pad Reset
Utility to reset the Ink Pad Counter to continue using the printer.
Please note that replacement of ink pads is relatively expensive and
may not be a good investment for lower cost printers because the
printers? other components also may be near the end of usable life.
Epson does not recommend ink pad replacement by users without
technical training or resetting the Ink Pad Counter without replacing
the ink pads.

The web-page that this was quoted from is

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/InkPadsForm.jsp

Gerhard
gerhardk@xxxxxxx