[modeleng] Re: milling chuck

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:57:08 -0000

Hi Ron

That's why I am pleased that my milling machines use R8 collets, which are
relatively cheap.   I also use R8 arbours with soft blank ends and bore
these to size, with an Allen screw in the side, to engage a flat on the
endmill - a free-hand ground flat will do.   These are also available
complete in a series of bores.    I use ER25 collets on my little lathe, and
have an R8 adapter for these.     By an unusual serendipity, my ancient
horizontal milling machine also uses R8, so that I can use them on it and
also on my VMC vertical mill.      They are much more secure than 2 or 3 MT,
and far easier to eject..

Cheers!   Hubert