[modeleng] Re: milling chuck

  • From: David Everett <deverett2003@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 21:02:47 +0000 (GMT)

DennisOne possible explanation why a collet is more secure compared to a chuck
is that the chuck jaws are bearing on the cutter on 3 points only, whereas in
the collet, the cutter is completely held round its circumference.The screwed
end of the cutter is - in my opinion - just belt and braces.  I would imagine
that Clarkson type cutters are being phased out by industry as an economy in
manufacture.
DaveThe Emerald Isle