[modeleng] Re: milling chuck

  • From: JEM HARRISON <jemharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 11:17:20 +0000 (GMT)

Ron,

I have no complaints about the quality of the Vertex chuck.  My problems are
due to my inexperience/lack of knowledge about how to do things.  My main
reservation about the Vertex chuck is that I reckon that it is too big for the
D-W.  Another problem is the difficulty in fitting the cutters in the chuck,
(a) so that they are screwed in sufficiently to engage with the nipple, and (b)
without cutting my fingers to shreds! (I use gloves).

Myford MT2 collets I have not tried in the D-W.  I have a couple that I have
used on my ML10, but when I wanted a half-inch one, Myfords had exhausted their
stock and were looking around for a manufacturer.  The trouble they were
having was that manufacturing prices in Blighty were so high that the retail
price would be more than people would be willing to pay.

I eventually purchased a set of ER25 collets for the ML10, but getting these to
run true is a bit of a lottery.  Apart from my inexperience, variables are due
to:
1.  How accurate is the engagement between the ER25 chuck and the Myford
spindle.
2.  The engagement between the ER25 collet and its chuck nose.
3.  Ditto between collet and chuck taper.
4.  Diametric difference between workpiece and collet bore.
5.  Opportunities for fluff, grit etc to get into any part of the inter-faces.

Time to put the kettle on.

Best wishes,

Jem Harrison
Basildon UK
  From: Dennis Rayner <dennis.rayner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Date: Friday, 26 December, 2008, 10:46 AM

  Santa was good to me - he brought me a book on milling (never had any
  training in my life) AND spending money!

  I've come to the conclusion that I should replace my old Clare chuck with

  new one for my rather battered Dore-Westbury.

  I wondered if any of the (UK?) group members had any recomendations as to
  make /model/suppliers?

  The D/W has a #2 MT fixing.

  Thanks in advance for any advice.

  Dennis