[modeleng] Re: milling chuck

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 17:13:54 -0800 (PST)

When I was in school, our Bridgeports were equipted with collets and they were
O.K.  When I set up my own shop, I made a special MT-3 milling cutter holder
that is secured in the spindle by a drawbar and the cutter is firmly held in
the holder by a Pinch screw.  The holder has a .375" hole and I am presently
restricted with using cutters with .375" shanks, and I have a good selection of
them.  If, in the future I need to hold cutters of different shank diameters,
well, that will give me another turning project or two!  So--there is an
alternative to either collets or Jacob-type chucks.  BTW: for the present time,
all my milling projects are done on the Lathe, BUT, I am longingly looking at a
Micro-Mark Vertical Mini-Mill that has a MT-3 spindle----.

Happy New Year to all!!

Al Messer