[modeleng] Re: milling chuck

  • From: JEM HARRISON <jemharrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 10:56:59 +0000 (GMT)

Good morning Ron, Peter and Shep,

I do have a Myford closing ring and a couple of collets, although what size
they are I cannot now recall, and yes, I could use this system on the D-W.

This may make you laugh, and apologies if I have related this tale before.
Recently, while working on the Gauge 1 Jersey Lilly type cylinder castings, I
decided to drill pilot holes for the steam ports, prior to milling.  The
Jacobs chuck was shoved up the spindle of the D-W and work
progressed.....although regressed would be a more appropriate word.  A drill
snapped, a small piece well and truly locked into the hole.  The holes in one
casting were out of sync with the holes in the other casting, as my edge
finding technique did not find the edge!  To cap it all, I could not get the
Jacobs chuck out of the D-W spindle.

I tried hammering the draw-bar with wooden mallet, with an 8-ounce hammer and a
block of wood to cushion the blow, without theblock of wood, with a club
hammer....brute force was not working.  I tried heating the chuck area with my
Bosch electric paint stripper, and hammering the draw-bar again, but with no
luck.

I telephoned Model Engineering Services, the people who used to make the D-W
kits.  The gentleman at the other end was very helpful, telling me that I
would have to strip the machine down and apply heat.  "Start at the top and
work down, its quite easy."  Naturally, I did not have a large enough spanner
for the nuts at the top of the quill, but I managed to get one from Cromwell
Tools, but for the quarter-inch thick flat near the bottom of the spindle they
did not have anything to fit.  I popped into Auto-care on the way home where I
found just the right spanner, one apparently for viscous fan couplings.  Armed
with the correct size spanners, the stripping down was easy, so that I was left
with just the spindle with the chuck and its arbor still stuck firmly inside.
I tried putting the spindle in the freezer for an hour or so.  That did not
help to free the chuck, but, trying again with my Bosch electric paint
stripper, it was soon freed.

Re-assembly took two attempts as I think that I tightened the bearings too much
during the first attempt.  I also put a little grease in the bearings,
although they looked OK.

After this comedy of errors, I shortened the draw-bar, twice, so that now
arbors can be released with a tap.  I suspect there was too much spring in it
before.

Further episodes of my comedy of errors will follow.

I must record my thanks to the man at MES....I suspect it was Ivan Laws.  When
I telephoned him to tell him that I managed, at last, to free the chuck, he
said that he had half-expected to see me turn up in his yard with the D-W and
the chuck still stuck in the spindle!

Time to put the kettle on again....then to wrestle with the D-W.

Tally Ho

Jem Harrison
Basildon UK