[modeleng] Re: Valve Gear Modifications

  • From: "BarriePurslow" <Barrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 13:30:59 -0000

Rich.,

> ...that does all assume that...
>
> 1) Winson didn't make any mods at any time, and that Ian's valve gear
> parts are the same as the Winson loco's of the same type that you've seen
> run.

Agreed

> 2) That the valve gear parts that Ian has are actually for the loco that
> he has (if I was Winson's designer I would have tried to standardise valve
> gear pin and bush sizes, which might have the unfortunate effect of making
> valve gear parts fit on different loco's, but would have had the effect of
> making them not work.).

They didn't work like that - for the most part they simply copied existing
designs. They were producing fairly large numbers of kits (First batch of
Brits, 75. First batch of 14xx, 200) so they weren't deeply into
standardising. Discreet fittings like clacks, snifting valves and injectors
were used across the range of models.

Cheers,

Barrie Purslow
Warrington UK

> Yours,
>

> Rich.
>
> On Sun, 5 Dec 2004, BarriePurslow wrote:
>
> > Ian,
> >
> > I have seen several of these engines run using the original Winson
bits -
> > O.K. they don't have four square beats but they do run. Therefore I
suggest
> > that your engine has been incorrectly assembled somewhere along the
line.
> > The following runs the risk of teaching granny to suck eggs but it's the
> > best I can think of:-
> >
> > I suggest that first of all you check that the return cranks are
correctly
> > set i.e. the big end of the eccentric rod is 90 degrees behind the
crankpin
> > when running forward.
> >
> > I then suggest that, working on one side of the engine at a time, you
> > connect rubber tubes to the draincocks and place their open ends in
water.
> > Using the reverser set the radius rod in mid gear then rotate the wheels
> > until the combination lever and radius rod are at right angles. The
piston
> > valve should now be in the middle of it's travel and you can check this
by
> > applying a few psi of air to the engine and observing the submerged
tubes. A
> > small leakage flow should come from each tube. Rocking the engine
slightly
> > back and forwards equal amounts should crack the piston valve first one
way
> > then the other. If this is not the case adjust the position of the
bobbin on
> > the piston valve rod until it is.
> >
> > The engine should now run. If it doesn't the problem is almost certainly
> > leakage between the piston valve liners and the cylinder bodies.
> >
> > If you wish to check the dimensions of the relevant bits of valve gear I
can
> > probably scan the relevant parts of the Perrier drawings and email them
> > you off list - just ask.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Barrie Purslow
> > Warrington UK