[modeleng] Re: Track circuiting & Loctite

  • From: "Ron Head" <ron.head@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:52:07 -0000

Hi John (and Barrie, Peter and Phil)

I'll certainly be interested in any resistance measurements anyone is able
to take, to prove whether or not Loctite acts as an insulator.  I think that
any steam loco should operate a track circuit, because there are plenty of
paths across the engine, through the axleboxes and motion, and as Phil has
pointed out, there is probably metal-to metal contact at the shoulders on
the axle on other stock.  I'm still slightly sceptical though!

The reason for the query is that my club is thinking of installing track
circuiting on our ground level circuit.  Our elevated track already has
automatic signalling worked by treadles, these work fine in the open air but
I'm not sure they will like being buried in ballast!

Regards
Ron