[modeleng] Re: SVR rail crash

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:26:58 -0600

Gate barriers make little or no difference as we West Tennesseans know.  A
couple of years ago the AMTRAC train the "City of New Orleans", bound
through Memphis  was wrecked near Chicago.  Several deaths and extensive
injuries were caused when a trailer truck loaded with steel wove its way
around the lowered crossing gates and onto the track where the train hit it.
In Memphis last year two people decided at the same fateful time to zip
around lowered gates and managed to hit head on at the centre of the
crossing.  Vehicles bounced away from the rails and the Norfolk Southern
train passed them with nary a scratch on the train.  In this case the
"Darwin Awards" would be proper because I believe both vehicle drivers were
killed in a railroad crossing accident in which the train itself was
unharmed.

Jesse from Tennessee