[modeleng] Re: Mystery Thread & New Loco

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 14:46:43 +0100

Barrie

I find the easiet way to screw-cut is to stop the lathe at the end of the
cut, withdraw the tool, and reverse the lathe - in this way whatever the
thread, it is always on track.

I bought an ancient Hardinge last year, and with this lathe, screwcutting at
speed is a doddle!    You can thread up to a shoulder, and the lathe will
stop.
The topslide has a device for withdrawing, and the reverse on the
screwcutting does not lose the track   Hardinge suggest that you do not
screwcut above 1000 rpm!

Cheers!   Hubert