[modeleng] Mystery Thread & New Loco

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Model Engineering List" <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:25:02 +0100

Thanks to those who responded on this topic.
I was trying to identify the thread in order to buy a tap having avoided thread
cutting in the lathe for so many years I had become paranoid about it. Well,
since running was rained off today I grasped the nettle, called up reserves of
"the old magic", took the stripped tube end and screw cut the existing thread
further up the tube. I then cut off the stripped portion and relieved the other
end to make up for the offcut. Bingo - collets are back in business.

Truth is I have spent the last year working on a certain 5" Duchess and become
slightly obsessed with it to the point where all workshop maintenance work was
ignored. However the engine is now up and running and I have a few pictures to
prove it. Would it be possible to put them on your website Alan?

Regards,

Barrie