[modeleng] Re: Mystery Thread & New Loco

  • From: Allen Messer <al_messer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:20:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hubert, I have been cutting threads on a lathe for
around 35 years, but it is still a "hair raising"
event when it happens.

For the past several years, especially when threading
to a shoulder or doing an internal thread, I grind the
tool "backwards, mount it where it is in the "back
side" of the hole and thread in Reverse with the
spindle turning in reverse, with the threading tool
backing out of the hole towards the headstock.  Since
my lathe has a threaded spindle, I do this very
carefully, very carefully indeed!

Al Messer