[modeleng] Re: Mystery Thread & New Loco

  • From: "Barrie Purslow" <bpduo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:57:59 +0100

Al,

The thread had stripped about 1/2" into the end of the tube but the original
thread was about 3/4" long so I set up the thread cutting operation to
extend the remaining thread using a tpi of 26. I suspect the thread is
actually 1mm pitch as the new thread does go slightly tight when a collet is
screwed in more than 1/2". I avoided the metric pitch because, although my
lathe will cut them, it is not possible to release the clasp nut from the
leadscrew between passes! I felt sure this would result in a catastrophe!

Regards,

Barrie