[modeleng] Re: Mystery Thread & New Loco

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 06:23:48 -0500

I generally thread at whatever speed that I think is "about right" and this
is frequently anywhere from 500 to 1,100 rpm.  I sort of go by how my fast
my reaction time is plus how fast the threading dial is revolving.  Too fast
and it is easy to miss the point to flip in the half nut, too slow and I may
fall asleep waiting for the dial to make it to the timing mark. [:-)
Generally, I leave a groove at the end of the thread so when I kick out the
half nut, the spindle can continue to revolve till I retract the tool.

Once I threaded an 8tpi that as an experiment, I had the thread end
perfectly.  I had to run at 25rpm and keep my hand on the cross feed so I
could pull the tool out when it reached the end of the thread.  Showed the
thread to a machinist friend and he didn't have a clue as to how that thread
ended so abruptly, just wasn't natural!

Jesse the Tennessee redneck