[modeleng] Re: Mystery Thread & New Loco

  • From: "Shep" <shep.28@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:22:13 +0100

Al

I have also used your trick of the 'upside down' back tool with the lathe in
reverse for internal screwcutting up to a shoulder - it certainly reduces
the 'hair raising' feeling of the tool disappearing into a blind hole.

I have found my method of not opening the clasp nut, and reversing the
lathe, makes one less thing to think about!    Above all, turning the lathe
by hand on short threads, reduces the blood pressure!

One of my favourite external threading tools is a disc ground to the thread
profile, with a square chunk cut out to give the cutting edge.    Very easy
to sharpen, as all one does is to grind the top of the cut-out - the shape
of the profile never varies!

On lighter lathes and coarse threads I have sometimes held the external tool
in the back toolpost, upside down, on the same basis as a parting tool, with
the pressure on the work downwards.

Talking of parting, my great find has been the 'Kit-Q-Cut' parting tool,
marketed in the UK by Greenwood Tools, is a winner, which enables almost
effortess parting on a relatively light lathe at speed, with the tool in the
front toolpost.   The body of the tool is a vertical piece of flat
steel.narrower than the cut, which holds the small tungsten carbide insert.
A real joy that seldoms jams on the cut!

We have had some welcome rain in this parched part of England.

Cheers!   Hubert