[modeleng] Re: Grizzly

  • From: Jerry Kimberlin <kimberln@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 17:35:31 -0800

Alan Stepney wrote:

> A pal recently returned from the US and bought me a Grizzly catalogue.
> I dont know about the quality, but their machiens look superb, and the range
> and especially, the range of accessories, plus the prices, made me green
> with envy.
>
> How are they viewed over there?

Their woodworking machinery seems to be good and a lot better than
their metalworking machinery.  I have a thickness planer, a shaper,
and an angle shaver.  All are excellent value.

I also have a 12" finger brake.  It is also pretty good and has a lot
of adjustments.  I've no complaints.  I'd buy it again.

My mill drill is a Grizzly G0519.  It has a few design problems.  One
of them is that the X and Y leadscrews are positioned with spring pins
and you can't adjust backlash.  On mine, the backlash is so large that
I just call it slop (around 1/8").  Even small cuts vibrate a lot
despite the weight of the machine.  In retrospect I should have spent
the same amount of money and got a used Bridgeport, but at the time I
didn't think I had the room.  Live and learn.

I just ordered a replacement electric motor from Grizzly.  I'll see
how that holds up.  The motor I'm replacing was a Chinese made motor
for a 4 x 6 horiz/vert bandsaw - the common type.  I've had it 26
years, without trouble, but recently it gobbled up a small sliver of
metal while I was using it in the vertical position and shorted out
the starting winding.  If the new motor lasts half as long I'll be happy.

JerryK