[modeleng] Re: Grizzly

  • From: "Jesse Livingston" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 13:20:24 -0600

Glad about your welcome rain Jesse - you can have some of ours at any time -
 without charge!

Hubert

Weeel thankee Hubert,

But why did you not see fit to make this offer last summer when we were dry
as the Sahara?

Bought meself one of them mini bead blast cabinets from Horror Fright to use
on my model engines that are going to be painted.  I bead blast the parts
until they are frosted looking and then only handle them with cotton gloves
to prevent any oil from my fingers getting on the surface.  Then I just use
a can of spray paint to get a really nice finish.  No primer used and no
sanding needed, just a couple of coats of spray paint.  I prefer Krylon® as
it dries rapidly, but that second coat has to be put on within a few hours
of the first one or else it will act as paint remover and give you a
horrible looking puckered flaking crinkle finish.

Our son is using my Atlas/Crapsman lathe to make gun parts right now.  I
managed to get a tailstock turret attachment several years ago, no brand
name on it, but it was cheap and brand new.  I made an adapter to fit the
flat bed ways of the Atlas and then made a box tool in order to make screws
etc for models or whatever.  The whatevers are usually Civil War cannon or
musket screws as I generally purchase hex head cap screws for my models and
only use the home made screws where they are underneath and out of sight.
The turret is a six position one and with it I almost have an automatic
screw machine.  Got several 1/2" drill chucks from a friendly electrical
repair business and installed them on the turret.  The chucks came from
drills that were going to cost too much to repair, (stripped gears, burned
out armatures etc).  The chucks are not always top quality, but they suffice
to hold several sizes of drill bits, taps or a die adapter for external
threads.  I use 12L14 free machining steel rods to make the screws and a lot
of other small model parts..

Jesse in it's raining like crazy Troy, TN