[modeleng] Re: Grizzly

  • From: "Tony Wells" <oaksfield@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:18:55 -0000

Not really Al - at the risk of grave embarrassment, I was referring to when
I ran the lathe at high speed in reverse, without noticing that the chuck
retaining clip was not properly secured, resulting in me being hit by
several pounds of steel chuck spinning at 1800 rpm.  "OUCH" or words to that
effect !!! Unfortunately I then made the stupid mistake of putting the chuck
back on and running it again without the clip - I was probably in Shock from
having my ribs rtickled as the spinning chuck ran up them one side and then
down the other side - but forward this time, to finish the job off.

Unfortunately my lathe registers the chuck off that clip and not an apparent
vertical register machined into the actual spindle at the end of the
threads, resulting in it binding on BIG time, something made worse by me
then trying to unwind a frozen chuck the wrong way, and at 6'1" / 220 lbs
(in Americanese), and with the long lever I used held across the chuck jaws,
the chuck was all but cold welded onto the spindle by the time I gave it up
as a bad job. In the end I had to make a cut between the vertical face of
the spindle and the chuck backplate, something that I read was done by
gunsmiths trying to remove the barrels from P14 and P17 rifles which were
over torqued as standard by the way, when the chuck then came off with one
hand ... <sob, sob>

When I did try to unwind the chuck the wrong way with the lever, that would
appear to be when I bent the spindle around where the MT socket is cut into
it, and the metal the thinnest, according to Warco. Neither anything held in
the chuck nor anything in the MT socket now run true, hence my sad and sorry
need of a new spindle., probably along with a pair of tapered roller bearing
as well .... <sigh> At least when I am modelling or turning in wood it is
usually all done freehand where the precision of metal working isn't
required, and more importantly I can hide my mistakes at the bottom of the
garden bonfire .... <chuckle>

Tony.