[modeleng] Re: Drain Cocks

  • From: "Jeff D" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:18:11 +0000

I agree, the cocks should be made to take BP + a safety factor.

I too saw the article in EIM, but I am not clear how the individual ports
are sealed. I see there is an o-ring between each of the 4 ports, but
apparently no seal is used around each port hole (at least it is not
visible). To me, this would leak at least a bit, as there has to be some
clearance from valve dia to block bore diameter, whether the port is aligned
to the outlet or turned 90 degrees. With tapered drain cocks, the taper
takes up the clearance mentioned and so it seals without a port o-ring or
packing.
To seal the straight bodied valves, I would think an o-ring would be needed
around the ports also, but this would be a saddle shaped groove and quite
hard to machine, and the o-rings may cut where they cross the port edge.

Did I miss something? is there a floating PTFE bit or other seal?

Cheers Jeff Dayman