[modeleng] Re: Drain Cocks

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <psbr20252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 21:03:28 +0000

John, Peter & Jeff,

You are of course quite right, they will need to close off steam at
boiler pressure.  My excuse is that it was late last night I posed the
question!

Jeff, yes it does look at bit basic, but then that's the level of my
workmanship!  I have the shaft made and have cut the O-ring grooves to
suit a box of O-rings I had on the bench!

I have the brass hex drilled and the shaft with the O-rings on it, it
seems to fit reasonably well. I agree though that there will be a gap
between the outer diameter of the shaft and the inner diameter of the
hex. To reduce the amount of steam in there I plan to use a small hole
(which most drain cocks seem to do).

Before I get too far with it I want to put some compressed air in it and
see how well it seals at various pressures.  Mind you, when you compare
it against Tinkerbell at the moment, any form of seal will be an
improvement :-)

Cheers

Peter