[modeleng] Re: Electrical Problem

  • From: The Sheppard Residence <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 21:09:40 +0000

To end this thread (and without getting reprimanded again for going
off-topic)!!

1. A Right Away Indicator ("RA") is generally mounted with the starting
signal at the end of a platform.  It is used where the platform is
curved or there is no easy way of the driver seeing the platform staff
(to give the "right away").  It lets the driver know that he should
depart.  (Right time, green signal, doors closed etc.)

2. It was legitimately purchased (as scrap) from Network Rail following
a resignalling in the South East of England.  If it hadn't been
purchased, it would have been thrown in a skip.

3.  I have two of them. One is fitted above my shed, the other will
serve its correct purpose on the LM&WR (model engineering content).

4. The one at home has been modified to have a mains powered relay
fitted in the unit that is energised by the other outside lights coming
on.  The relay switches the 12v ac which is now powered permanently
inside the shed.  This has removed the inrush current which seems to
have solved the problem - at least it hasn't tripped out the circuit
breaker in the last 4 hours.  (Electrical engineering content).

Thread closed.

Cheers

Peter