[modeleng] Re: Electrical Problem

  • From: cbrumbelow@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 14:23:07 +0000

In the southwestern part of "the big island" in Hawaii, near the usually active
volcano field, there is/was an abandoned windmill farm.  The towers are mostly
in place, the big propellers may be missing none, one, or several blades, the
buildings are nothing but foundations and windowless hulks.  Never learned why
it was abandoned.  From a wind flow standpoint, it was a good location, but
maybe enroaching volcanos did it in.  Or maybe the tax subsidies ended and with
them the reason for its existance.  It seemed a long way from any significant
electricity users.
I've wondered from time to time whether active or abandoned ocean oil drilling
platforms, or purpose made equivalents, would make sense for a hydrogen-based
transportation system.  Equip the towers with windmill generators and/or solar
generators of some sort, use the electricity to extract and compress or liquify
hydrogen from the ocean, and pick the hydrogen up with tankers along the lines
of today's LNG carriers.

Charles