[modeleng] Re: Damaged 4 jaw chuck

  • From: "Dennis Rayner" <dennis.rayner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 18:19:41 -0000

May I thank everyone who helped on this one - the situation is:

All 4 jaws tighten at the point at which they would grip about 3" diameter.
I have dismantled the chuck (never would have known about the forks - many
thanks)
The jaws move in and out freely, but the screws all bind to a greater or
lesser degree.
Rolled on the surface plate or spun in the lathe, I can see that the screws
are bent.
I suspect that when I overtightened they leaned away from the jaws bending
in the process.
I have spoken to the very helpful chap at Rotagrip to seek replacement
screws but, since the chuck
is almost as old as me, they are obsolete (like me!) The chuck is not a
Burnard.

How to straighten the screws?? Not easy and I am sure we are only talking a
few thou.

Since the screws are of square thread form (0.125" pitch), I am minded to
stone the crests of the threads
until they run free in the chuck body. Not a Rolls Royce solution but then
I'm not a Rolls Royce engineer.

Can anyone see a major problem with this blacksmith type solution?

Thanks again
Dennis

PS to Wilfried. I did try to buy myself a new chuck for Christmas from ARC
but they are shut until Jan 5th.
Also, two nights ago I was pipped in the last 30 seconds to one on eBay.
Perhaps I was always meant to save the money