[modeleng] Re: Damaged 4 jaw chuck

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 09:01:21 +0100

Hi,
Before I start grinding away I would have a try to straighten them again.
There is big chance it will work.
As said in my previous mail don't use a hammer but use an hydraulic press.
If you don't have it yourself surely one of you ME friends has one or
failing that try the local garage.
Before you start make up a sort of rig. It should look like a long V block
with the centre portion missing. The idea is to support the screw by the
ends and have the possibility to over bend the screw downwards. This is
needed as the screw will flex up to some degree when the pressure comes of.
But be careful not to over bend or you will end up with a screw bent the
other way. Takes some care and redoing but the end result is usually good.
One of the jobs which regularly pops up at work are the bent guide bars of
fitness rigs. Dam expensive and most of the time not available as spare
parts. Takes some time but with some patience most can be saved this way.
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried