[modeleng] Re: Damaged 4 jaw chuck

  • From: "Wilfried Vermeiren" <vermeiren.wilfried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:33:49 +0100

Hi,
Obviously you have forced something, question is what ?
There is no way round as to take it apart and correct things again. But
before you do I would check a few things first.
-       take the jaws one by one. And take note of what happens. They should
have numbers or give them numbers.
-       Wind one in and out if it goes stiff all the way there are two
possibilities. The jaw in the body or the screw. Or dirt, but I trust you
already checked that. There is no way to find out if it's the jaw in the
body until the whole lot is dismantled, so this has to wait till that point.
-       So we are left with the screw. With the jaw in, does it jams equal
one turn round or does it jams half and runs free the other half. That is an
indication the screw is probably bent. Rubbing itself against the foot of
the jaw.
-       If it turns stiff all round then check the following. Take out the
jaw and repeat the turning of the screw. Take the air hose and clean out
possible metal chips in the screw  housing. Check again for turning. If
still stiff there is something wrong with the bearing / guidance of the
screw.
-       Take out the screw and have a close inspection of the bearing on the
screw and hole. Also have a look at the place where the screw buts against.
Might be that there is a bur formed by the excessive pressure put on it
during the abuse. Try to correct this until it runs free again. If the screw
was bent try to get it straight again under a press. Or in the bench with
suitable protection. NOT by a hammer !! There is also a possibility of the
screw tread been pinched ( ? ), metal damage due to two metal parts rubbing
against each other under great pressure. If this is the case , have a look
at the underside of the jaw. It will be damaged to. It might be possible to
correct this with grinding paste but things tend to go the wrong way then.
So be carefully with grinding paste inside the body ! Clean well afterwards
!
-       Slide the jaw in it's own slot and see if it slides free. If not try
carefully to correct this.
-       If satisfied with the action of screw and jaw apart try them
together.
I hope the above is of some use and I think worth a try. Hope you have some
success.
Another option is to ask a new 4 jaw under the Christmas tree.
Note the UNDER as Christmas tree and 4 jaws tend to be a bit unstable .
Regards
Wilfried Vermeiren
http://users.skynet.be/modelbouw.wilfried