[modeleng] Re: Couplings

  • From: "JESSE LIVINGSTON" <fernj1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 05:20:34 -0600

Two connections are not always proof of no runaways.  A year ago while
running the "Newbie Project" as in Live Steam right now, I had a derailment
which caused the short driving/fuel car to stand on end.  The knuckle
coupler on the car dropped below the one on the loco and the front frame
member of the carriage dug into the aluminium railhead causing it to stop
instantly.  There was a single safety chain and it promptly straightened out
the hook on the driving car while the locomotive proceeded resolutely along
the rails!  Fortunately, I had almost totally closed the throttle before
getting dumped in the ballast, so the loco was only running at a good
walking speed around a loop where I intercepted it after extracting myself
from the ballast and grass. The driving carriage is now a wooden gondola and
has two safety chains in addition to the knuckle coupler.

Unka Jesse