[modeleng] Re: Workshops

  • From: "Jeff Dayman" <jeffdayman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 07:57:11 -0500

Hi Tim and Tony,

I would go for lumber frame construction every time. Skin the outside with
plywood and vinyl siding, use asphalt shingles and vinyl windows, and put
the whole thing on a floating concrete slab. Insulate with fibreglass batts,
sheet the walls with gypsum drywall. Rule one though is that any lumber in
the structure must be kept dry and away from the earth, ie up in the air or
on concrete with 4"-6" minimum distance from any earth. If kept dry, good
spruce,pine or fir lumber will last 60-100 years minimum. Naturally,
Canadian lumber is preferred if available  8>) .

With the lumber frame, you can prefab the walls and roof trusses before
assembly, to use small blocks of time to build them while not risking
getting an uncompleted structure wet. When you have all the walls and
trusses built, ask a few friends over to assemble them and put the shingles
and siding on. For an 8x10 foot shed, this final assy can be done in one day
by three guys. Wiring and heating are easy with lumber construction and it
feels much warmer and cosier than a concrete wall structure, no matter what
you insulate concrete with.

The vinyl siding and asphalt shingle products today make it easy to get a
great looking structure with almost foolproof results and good
weatherproofing. If you run the electrical service underground, with one
unbroken length of underground cable, up through the floor slab there are no
visible wires and the service will be kept absolutely dry at the
terminations with no wall openings to seal.

Lumber framing is how 99% of outbuildings and most houses are constructed
here in Ontario Canada. I have built several for myself and friends and
would say it's the way to go. Basic carpentry skills and light labour are
all that's required. Adding on to the building if need be, and adding
internal shelving (or any interior wall mounting/fastening is much easier
with lumber walls as well.

Just my $0.02.

Cheers, Jeff Dayman Waterloo Ontario Canada