[modeleng] Re: Couplings

  • From: "Peter J. Cathcart" <peter.cathcart@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:46:04 -0000

Alan

We use bars, as probably most clubs do.  As for pins, we have a set of pins
with a spring semi-circle which is quite vicious if you're not careful.  It
means, however, that once the pin is in it simply can't bounce out.  This is
critical.  All locos are meant to be checked by the loco super for the day
to make sure the couplings are totally secure.

We have a video taken probably 20 years ago, by pure fluke, of a loco on the
track with the loco parting from its driving carriage.  We play it
occasionally on club nights and it brings tears to the eyes!  On the more
serious side it made us realise what can happen and that is why we sorted
suitable pins.

Hilarity is the mother of invention.

Peter