[modeleng] Re: An innocent abroad

  • From: "alanjstepney" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:35:48 -0000

Tim,

I would suggest a very fine wire, something of the order of 36 swg.
If you have / can get, it, even go down to 42 swg.

Pack in as many turns as you have space for.

The greater number of turns, the more efficient it will be, and the higher
the voltage.
For your purpose, which I assume to be demonstration rather than powering
something, it really doesnt matter what the voltage is.
Get it running, and then measure it.
You can always change the voltage if you need to.

I would use enammelled wire, and then immerse it in thin hot varnish to
ensure that the windings are fully coated to prevent leakeage across
windings.

If you have them, there are some excellent articles by Edgar Westbury in old
ME's about making ignition coils, which give some useful tips.

I am fairly sure that Maplins still do thin wire, but if you get stuck, let
me know and I will see what I have hidden away.

As for the brushes, carbon rods would probably have been used originally.
Therefore any available "carbon" (I believe they are a composite nowadays)
brush will suffice.
The "pigtails" that join them to the woring can be made from the outer of
co-ax cable as used for TV aerial wire.
It scrunches down nicely, and sections can be taken out to make it the size
you want.

alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.alanstepney.info
Model Engineering, Steam Engine, and Railway technical pages.