[modeleng] An innocent abroad

  • From: "Tim Rickard" <the_viffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: modeleng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:22:15 +0000

I've a list of scientific qualifications as long as your arm and I've
practised (maybe one day I'll get it right) amongst other things as a
consulting chemist and consulting engineer since before Methusula's dad was
a lad.

When however it comes to electricity apart from knowing electrons are
blue/purple (Evidence no 1 electric sparks are blue. Evidence number 2
captive electrons in old glass, treated topaz, and in some salt crystals are
blue or violet. Evidence no 3 when I shock myself the air turns blue) I know
nothing to the power of ten.

I was seduced recently (the Frau Doktor being otherwise engaged) by a set of
castings for an overtype dynamo. They arrived this morning. Even I have the
skill (I hope) to whip them under the shaper to turn out something plausible
but how do the windings go and what size? I took myself to the Science
Museum in South Ken today expecting to see something to copy but was
bitterly disappointed. 1/3 of the space was empty and 2/3 of that which
remained was tat. The other 1/3 of course deserved and received stunned awe.
There were 2 Parsons dynamo sets which I've photographed but not much else.

So how do I wind the field coils? Both clockwise or one clock and one anti
clock? What gauge wire do I use? Are they in series or parallel with the
armature. I plan to tear up a car dynamo for the armature if that helps on
scale. Any ideas on an old style set of brushes?