[mac4theblind] Re: created a bootable installer of Mountain Lion with SuperDuper

  • From: Edward Lewis Redfern <edwardredfern@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx the blind" <mac4theblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2013 11:05:49 +0000

first thing’s first. before considering mavericks, I’d consider a ram upgrade
because mavericks will need a bit more ram between OS, Voiceover and your
applications to perform at it’s best. If I remember right, you’re in the UK, if
that’s right then please visit www.crucial.com/uk. there’s a system checker
plugin that checks your mac to see what RAM you’re using and what your rig can
take as a maximum.  I trust Crucial completely and their service and support
with me has been great for a long time. very well priced ram as well for macs.

With reference building partitions on  your macintosh HD, you can actually do a
partition setup using strangely enough… Bootcamp utility. How you do it is
this, you make bootcamp think you’re about to install windows so you divide
your  primary partition into 2 and there’s a restore point hidden in the
instruction code. before bootcamp starts the installer for windows, quit. now
go to disk utility, you should now have a drive the size you want with
bootcamp. as you’re using a 500gb 5400rpm drive, I’d make a 100gb partition for
mavericks as a test environment. when you’re in disk utility and you see the
partition for bootcamp, select that partition and reformat it as OS X extended
Journaled and rename it Mavericks. a bit of an accessible workaround but it
works. I’ve tried it as a back door method before and it works, but as an admin
tech, I know disk utility like a service engineer knows it.

sorry if I’m not clear. I’m just a little rough these days, not feeling at my
best and taking on so many support queries about mavericks drives me mad. lol

anyway. hope it works.

lew