[lit-ideas] Re: flu vaccine

  • From: Judy Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 02:49:36 +0100

Thursday, October 28, 2004, 1:55:53 AM, Paul Stone wrote:

PS> The thing is that most people who aren't affected by something are not
PS> concerned about something; but MOST people think that they need flu shots,

I don't think that can be so, as the US ordered roughly 100 million
doses this year, for nearly 300 million people.

PS> the odds are what they are. I have nothing against people doing
PS> what they can to ensure they don't get the flu, but the onus is on
PS> people doing simple things to avoid it too.

Like what?

PS> It's like air bags, car safety, seatbelts etc. How about learning how to
PS> fucking drive so that you don't smash into anything? How about more
PS> difficult driving tests? How about making sure that people who are not
PS> extremely competent drivers DON'T DRIVE?

How about making sure tires don't burst?

PS>  People love to quote the
PS> statistics about how x% of people killed in car accidents are killed by
PS> drunk drivers etc. But that's just playing on tangible evidence. What about
PS> the 100-x % of people? They were killed by inattentive, bad, sleeping,
PS> sick, old, dead drivers.

The one who nearly killed me was attentive, awake, young, healthy,
reckless, and -- when he caused the crash -- alive.

PS>  Why not the movements to stop those
PS> assholes?  No... that's way too novel a cure for people's constant
PS> expectations that they will be safe without taking steps to help
PS> themselves. Gotta have protection always. [rolls eyes]

Oh so you have no laws on drunk driving? You don't jail people for bad
driving?

PS> So don't go out.

oh sure

PS>  Why should the majority of people cater to the minority? That's
PS> certainly NOT a democracy.

You have a strange idea of democracy. But let's stay with it. What if
the majority of people want 'flu shots?

PS>  And. might I add, that if the MAJORITY  of people ARE susceptible
PS>  to the flu --

as they are

PS>to the extent that will die from complications

they are not, from this 'flu. But they can give the 'flu to people whi
might die of it. That's why our GPs' College wants more people here
vaccinated.

PS>-- then we have a much bigger fucking  problem than how to supply
PS>the vaccines.

I'd have thought that was exactly the problem -- and come a pandemic,
you'll probably agree

--
 Judy Evans, Cardiff, UK
mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx