[lit-ideas] Re: VERY VERY VERY GOOD NEWS

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:58:11 EST

Matzel tov, Saba.

She's a lucky little girl to have such a grandfather.  I hope she had  a
happy day today.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: VERY VERY VERY
GOOD NEWS  Date: 3/4/06 1:00:55 A.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Irene:
> Except I wasn't supporting  you.  I saw yet another instance of people
> thinking insult means  love, admiration, whatever.

But if an "insult" is said as an expression  of love, Irene, it's not an
insult -- it's an expression of love.  Love  can be expressed in irony as
well as in any straight forward  declaration.  In fact, ironic expressions of
love can be a more highly  charged, secret "love language".   I don't mean to
suggest that  Erin's joke was a "love language", but it does mean that she
thinks she  knows me well enough to know she can tease me about my children's

"affectation" for bizarre names -- an affectation they got from me who named
them, a fact she's aware of.  So it all gets more complicated than  appears
on the surface where you seem to have made this judgment.   Maybe you might
probe a little deeper before jumping to conclusions.   It might save you some
Emily Litella moments.  Just a  suggestion.

If you weren't being supportive, then I don't really  understand your
objection, though I suppose you could be sensitive to the  whole question of
civility and posting, and urging us all to be more  restrained.  I would
support that -- most times.  :  )   And if that is the case, then let me
assure you that in this situation  you're way off base.  I found Erin's post
very funny, but then I know  the world that gave it birth and where it was
meant to live as, I would  guess, do most people on this list.

Life's not such a burden if you just  lighten up.

Mike  Geary