[lit-ideas] Re: The Effects of Reading Military History

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 02:48:54 EST

So we want our leaders to be sexy?

I've always said sex is all about power.

Re. props -- remember Nixon's line about the witch hazel just before his TV
address?

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Effects of
Reading Military History  Date: 3/3/06 11:10:14 P.M. Central Standard Time
From: _atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
Eric:
>> Can the impulse to engage in war  be tamed?
>
> Without going all Koenigsburgerking on you guys and  signing you up for
> pricey seminars about recondite and fatuous  unconscious sacrifice
> narratives--I'll ask you to remember--in one  run-on sentence--Jimmy Carter
> in his sweater, setting the White House  thermostat down, and, swiping from
> William James, to call on all  Americans to wage "the moral equivalent of
> war" by developing a new  type of energy economy that would liberate us
> from dependence on the  Middle East oil maestros.

I like this post, it reminds me of a  question I've never thought of, to wit:
where did Jimmy Carter study  theatre?  Did he really think that such cheesy
props would convince the  American People to forego comforts and conserve
energy and demand that they  be taxed more to finance alternative energy
sources?  "Get real" as  Erin would say.  A sweater can't compare to standing
on the jagged  rubble of the World Trade Towers with a bullhorn and shouting
"I hear  you."   Turning down a thermostat can't compare to landing a jet
fighter on an aircraft carrier and walking tall in your tight fitting flight
suit across the deck beneath a giant sign proclaiming: "Mission
Accomplished."  Ach.  Carter has clearly been out-classed  theatre-wise by
nearly everyone -- maybe even by Calvin Coolidge, I don't  know, I wasn't
around then, but the "strong, silent type" can be an imposing  stage
character given the right actor.  Carter (God love the man, has  there ever
been such a decent human being in politics in America?) was the  most
pathetic actor I've ever seen on the national scene (seen and scene  complete
with implied theatre scenery -- I can be cheesy, too!!)?  And  that wimpish
little smile of his, even though I loved the man, it made me  want to smack
him.  Even Elvis knew that smiling is not sexy.   It's probably the only
thing he knew -- or at least laid claim to  knowing.  Unfortunately, he made
a cartoon of not smiling -- what with  his snarling upper lip and flaring
nostrils.  Elvis was on the right  track though.  Alpha males do not smile.
Alpha means: "I'm willing kill  you", smiling doesn't.  Elvis just didn't
know that you can't fake  it.  Willing to kill, that's the secret.  Most of
us aren't.   Whence civilization?  Should we not then kill all the alpha
males?  But who'll do that save an alpha?  Ach.

Mike  Geary
Memphis