[lit-ideas] Re: The Effects of Reading Military History

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 23:09:52 -0600

Eric:

Can the impulse to engage in war be tamed?

Without going all Koenigsburgerking on you guys and signing you up for pricey seminars about recondite and fatuous unconscious sacrifice narratives--I'll ask you to remember--in one run-on sentence--Jimmy Carter in his sweater, setting the White House thermostat down, and, swiping from William James, to call on all Americans to wage "the moral equivalent of war" by developing a new type of energy economy that would liberate us from dependence on the Middle East oil maestros.

I like this post, it reminds me of a question I've never thought of, to wit: where did Jimmy Carter study theatre? Did he really think that such cheesy props would convince the American People to forego comforts and conserve energy and demand that they be taxed more to finance alternative energy sources? "Get real" as Erin would say. A sweater can't compare to standing on the jagged rubble of the World Trade Towers with a bullhorn and shouting "I hear you." Turning down a thermostat can't compare to landing a jet fighter on an aircraft carrier and walking tall in your tight fitting flight suit across the deck beneath a giant sign proclaiming: "Mission Accomplished." Ach. Carter has clearly been out-classed theatre-wise by nearly everyone -- maybe even by Calvin Coolidge, I don't know, I wasn't around then, but the "strong, silent type" can be an imposing stage character given the right actor. Carter (God love the man, has there ever been such a decent human being in politics in America?) was the most pathetic actor I've ever seen on the national scene (seen and scene complete with implied theatre scenery -- I can be cheesy, too!!)? And that wimpish little smile of his, even though I loved the man, it made me want to smack him. Even Elvis knew that smiling is not sexy. It's probably the only thing he knew -- or at least laid claim to knowing. Unfortunately, he made a cartoon of not smiling -- what with his snarling upper lip and flaring nostrils. Elvis was on the right track though. Alpha males do not smile. Alpha means: "I'm willing kill you", smiling doesn't. Elvis just didn't know that you can't fake it. Willing to kill, that's the secret. Most of us aren't. Whence civilization? Should we not then kill all the alpha males? But who'll do that save an alpha? Ach.

Mike Geary
Memphis