[lit-ideas] The Effects of Reading Military History

  • From: Eric <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 17:47:58 -0500

>>This is America.  It's still America.

Maybe Lawrence and David and other history readers can comment on this.

Seems to me that reading even a little military history reveals how stupid and venal, incompetent and nasty, humans are. I mean, as opposed to Barbara Tuchman historical overviews, military history shows just how close to barbarity our world is, how little anything has changed. Calling it "the fog of war" is (except in a very specialized sense) a misnomer, perhaps a form of denial. Like imagining we're living in a Star Trek world. Brutish from Sumer to now with no let up.

It's like we've always been in this fog and the drunken Roman soldier kills Archimedes over and over again, killed Archimedes yesterday, today, and will kill Archimedes tomorrow.