[lit-ideas] Re: U.S. superlatives (was Victor Hanson in Iraq)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 12:00:27 EST

Reading this thread I'm struck by how black and white the perspectives
offered are.  As though the list itself is a party of various brands of
extremists.  Surely we could all agree that the global situation  is more
highly
nuanced.   The lack of acknowledging a middle  ground, a grey area, where all
those
who participate have some perspectives in  common, and some things which can
inform the perspective of others, appears to  lead the list into the same sort
of  boxing match as the geo-political  issues the list is parleying.  Because
we are passionate about our beliefs  and perspectives, it seems to deteriorate
into a "I'm wrong, you're right,  you're dumb, I'm smart, you're rich I'm
poor, you haven't read what I've read,  you haven't read what I've written and
if
you have you just don't get it, if you  don't agree with me it means I have to
speak more slowly and loudly -- if you  don't agree with me it's obvious you
haven't understood me" converse.  I'm  not a "why can't we just get along"
kinda person.  But I am a "there really  IS dignity and wonder in difference"
kind.  If half the energy were spent  on learning and celebrating the
uniqueness
of Others, I suspect there would be  far less verbal blood-letting, never mind
the physical blood-letting of the  human species.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: U.S. superlatives
(was Victor Hanson in  Iraq)  Date: 12/15/2006 1:20:27 A.M. Central Standard
Time  From: _lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Irene so aptly  illustrates what it is I have against the Left that I must
add one more  note.  She can’t let a compliment in favor of the US  stand;
well
neither can Andreas, Simon, etc., etc.  To praise  America is well,
unpatriotic and  ought to be banned.  People ought to know better than to
praise
America.  It’s, It’s,  Neocon!   And who can praise Liberal Democracy!
Liberal-Democracy is any fool can plainly see is evil.  We Leftists took  the
name
Liberal and by changing only a few letters have advanced it to its  rightful,
er,
leftful place.  The very idea that Democracy might be on the  march is an empty
Neocon slogan. And all those other Neocons like Jefferson, Washington,
Adams, etc, should be cleansed from our history  books.  Democracy,
Shlemocracy!
And why won’t you  Neocons see that when you attack an enemy you cause that
enemy to kill himself,  er, kill his neighbors and all those innocent
bystanders.  You blindly went  into Iraq thinking everything was going to  be
hunky
dory, but looked what happened.  Al Quaeda killed Iraqis trying to  vote.
Sunnis
killed Shiites trying to get a civil war going and perhaps  get back in
power, and now the Shiites are returning the favor; so it’s all  Americas
fault.
America  clearly caused all those Iraqis to kill each other.  Only a Neocon
can’
t  see that.  If George Bush hadn’t stolen the election, if Al Gore had been
elected president then all those 500,000 innocent Iraqi dissidents,
guerillas,  Jihadists and former Baathists would still be alive.  So the real
guilt
lies with those Neocons who voted for George Bush and the Supreme Court which
stole the election from the rightful president Al Gore.  What a far far
better, and if the truth were known amusing, place America and the  world would
be
with Al Gore as president.
You Neocons should be  ashamed of yourselves for forcing all those Iraqis to
kill each other!   Shame!  Shame!
Lawrence
Irene wrote:  “I don't read neocon pie in  the sky crap.  I don't pay
attention to empty slogans like democracy is on  the march, etc. etc.  If you
don't
like the facts, ignore them.  I  stand by my duh, which is those people would
still be alive if we hadn't  invaded.  We also wouldn't be looking at the
prospect of a caliphate that  we weren't looking at 4 years ago.  Our powers
that
be are in  China looking for them to give us  economic concessions, not the
other way around.  How much has happened in  four little years.”