[lit-ideas] Re: U.S. superlatives (was Victor Hanson in Iraq)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 07:59:15 -0600

DMcE:
Please explain. What ought to be (or is) the "brightest light in the harbor"
(sic?)

What are you siccing? 'Harbor'? You want me to waste a vowel as you profligate Brits do? I have my principles. And as a American in the proud tradition of Benjamin Franklin my principal principle is thriftiness. A penny saved. Waste not. Etc. Albeit, Benjy was himself waistful, he verbally lean.

"What ought to be (or is) the brightest light in the harbor," you ask. The brightest light is, ipso facto, the brightest light. Which part of that sentence don't you understand? Had you ever seen a harbor at night, you would have seen many lights, (like the thousand points of light which watch-my-lipsy Daddy Bush used to call for -- charitably, of course, trying to help the downtrodden rich lest they should be required to fork over some of their hardly earned money) and you would have noticed that some of the lights are brighter than others. Why? More voltage perhaps. Less electrical resistance through the filament due to the physical characteristics of the filament. Illumination by arcing as opposed to resistance. Cleaner lens. Etc. It doesn't matter why, they're brighter just because they're brighter. As Popper would no doubt say, we're not asking why some are brighter, only whether some are brighter -- or appear to be brighter. The answer is yes and the rest belongs to metaphor.

Please make your explanation free of bullshit. Just for Christmas' sake.

As you can see, I have acceded to your wish.  Merry Christmas,

Mike Geary
Memphis