[lit-ideas] Re: U.S. superlatives (was Victor Hanson in Iraq)

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 11:54:17 -0600

US:
The real America isn't like that. The real America is just so much wasted potential.

Yes, Ursula, thank you. The most aggravating thing about Lawrence's accusation that the "Left" is anti-American is that he's right -- the "Left" is anti the America that the Right wants us to be: plutocratic, sexist, racist, militaristic, imperialistic, fascistic, theocratic. I think there's a better way. I think Lawrence does too. As he says: "How thoroughly rotten to have the finest, freest, most democratic and successful culture in the world" and to use those blessings for self-aggrandizement which is the one and only cardinal virtue of the Right. "How depraved to have the most powerful military" rather than the most powerful vision for the future of mankind. "Surely all the nay-saying defeatist Leftist are right to condemn a nation so brilliantly successful" at exploiting the resources of the earth and its people for their own corporate and private greed.

OK, yes, I had to finish Lawrence's thoughts for him, but I'm sure that's what he was thinking.

Besides locking away more people than any other nation -- btw, am I alone in finding it strange that Eric would offer as support for our incarceration rates the comments of some Brazilian friends (a country even more wracked with economic inequity and social injustice than our own)? ah, but I'm sure those friends are there floating around NYC in an endeavor to ameliorate the god awful poverty of so many in Brazil -- we also find ourselves on an even more damning list, those nations that still permit capital punishment:
       a.. Afghanistan
       b.. Antigua and Barbuda
       c.. Bahamas
       d.. Bahrain