[lit-ideas] Re: U.S. superlatives (was Victor Hanson in Iraq)

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:06:55 -0500

They track patterns of calls, like people passing messages to each other.
Unfortunately, that could also be a snow chain or any other get together
where one person calls others who call a bunch of others.  Emails are the
same way.  Big computer programs sift through billions of emails.  It's
pretty fruitless.  Al Qaeda got wise that their whereabouts were tracked
through financial patterns.  They're now doing it the old fashioned way,
avoiding electronic transfers.  Suskind talks about that.  Suskind also
says that any real progress has come from human to human interaction, like
Tenet with the Saudis.  The administration didn't realize what they had
with Tenet.  He was very effective, and they turned him into a lightning
rod.  Goss tells Bush what he wants to hear.