[lit-ideas] Re: U.S. superlatives (was Victor Hanson in Iraq)

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:25:59 -0800

Powell spoke yesterday about the situation:

Colin Powell: "If victory means you have gotten rid of every insurgent, you have peace throughout the country, I don't see that in the cards right now. What we are going to have to do is try to bring a sense of order and security to the country, even if there continues to be low level violence and insurgency. But victory is not in the hands of the American government or the American president. Victory, to be achieved or not to be achieved, as I have just defined it, is increasingly in the hands of the Iraqi leadership. If they can't pull it off, if they can't demonstrate the political will and means to go after the militias to create a military force that is answerable and confident in the government and to root out the corruption that exists in the police forces, if they are unable to do that, the United States is not going to be able to do it for them."

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com